September 13, 2016
IN THIS ISSUE:
"CIRCLE OF PRAYER" CHURCHES FOR THE WEEKS OF SEPTEMBER 18 - 24 AND SEPTEMBER 25 - OCTOBER 1
September 18 - September 24
Prospect, New Park (York)
Faxon-Kenmar, Williamsport (Lycoming)
Christ Mountaintop, Mountain Top (Luzerne)
Youngs, Mechanicsburg (Cumberland)
Shirleysburg, Shirleysburg (Huntingdon)
Zion York, York (York)
First Hollidaysburg, Hollidaysburg (Blair)
Pleasant Valley Woodland, Woodland (Clearfield)
Wesley Chapel Breezewood, Breezewood (Bedford)
Hamlin-Hollisterville-Maplewood, Hollisterville (Wayne)
September 25-October 1
Community Church Great Bend, Great Bend (Susquehanna)
Christ Community, Selinsgrove (Snyder)
Mt. Pleasant Sunbury, Sunbury (Northumberland)
Hoffman, Trout Run (Lycoming)
Grace Centre Hall, Centre Hall (Centre)
Elkland, Elkland (Tioga)
Huntersville, Muncy (Lycoming)
Mt. Pleasant Port Matilda, Port Matilda (Centre)
Calvary Fayetteville, Fayetteville (Franklin)
Jerseytown, Jerseytown (Columbia)
You can use this list for announcements, inclusion in church bulletins, newsletters, etc. Full details about the Circle of Prayer are available from our website at www.susumc.org. Please be aware that churches are chosen from a pool of all church names with the use of a random number generator without regard to district.
NEXT 2016: DREAM. GO. DO.
Participants who attend Imagine What's NEXT in Atlanta, Ga., Friday-Sunday, November 4-6 will HEAR from leaders of the most successful and influential social movements in the world; LEARN how to put their faith, skills, talents, and gifts to use in new and exciting ways; MEET, collaborate, and connect with fellow dreamers who are doing God's work in the world; DREAM and be inspired to think about how God is stirring their heart and their passions; GO out into the city of Atlanta to learn, hear, and meet community activists and difference makers; DO it all in one authentic weekend, for such a time as this.
Find more event details at nextumc.org.
Susquehanna Young People's Ministry is offering scholarships to 10 college-age young adults to attend this event. The scholarship will be $150, which covers the cost of registration. Attendees are responsible for registering and securing transportation and lodging for the event.
Download an application at http://igniteyoungpeople.org/index.php/young-adults.
Director of Christian Education & Young People's Ministries
Susquehanna Conference UMC
YOUTH SERVICE FUND GRANTS AVAILABLE
Youth Service Fund grants are available for all churches in the Susquehanna Conference. Grants are given to fund developing new or expanding existing youth-led ministries.
The full details of grant guidelines and expectations are listed on the Young People's Ministry Web page, http://igniteyoungpeople.org.
You can fill out your online application or download a PDF application by clicking on "Youth" and then clicking on "Youth Service Fund."
Application deadline is October 31, 2016.
Young People's Ministry Council
Susquehanna Conference of The United Methodist Church
NEW SCAMS TO WATCH FOR
Just wanted to send out an email to everyone and let them know about some of the current scams going on.
Some of the current scams:
1. The IRS back taxes scam. The IRS will not call you. They mail everything out. Yesterday I received two pre-recorded IRS scam phone calls. Ignore the phone calls or block them if you can.
2. Microsoft Tech Support (they may also say they are Windows Tech Support). If you get a random call from Microsoft or Windows saying that they noticed you have virus or spyware on your system, it is a scam. This scam will get you to give the caller remote access into your computer. They will install something that looks like it is getting rid of stuff, but that program gives them access to your computer. Typically this scam will also encrypt your hard-drive with a password, and they will call you back after a few days and try to get more money out of you. This keeps going on and on untill you finally stop paying them.
3. As of yesterday, a text scam is going around about the Pennsylvania State Employee Credit Union. You may get this even if you don't have an account with PSECU. Just ignore and delete the text. If you get the text and want to make sure your account is OK, call the real phone number for your bank and not the number you get in a text message.
4. Virus warnings from Facebook (or just from browsing the Web). If you all of a sudden see a big popup about having a virus/spyware/malware, and that you need to call some number you do not recognize to remove, don't call the number. Lately there have been some ads that are showing up mainly from Facebook that alert the user that they have something installed that needs removed. When you call, they normally try to talk you into giving them remote access. If you see this popup, just close the browser and do not call.
5. Email attachments. We can't stress this enough ... do not click on something if you weren't expecting it.
6. Emergency wire transfer. This is a very directed scam. They create an email that looks like it is coming from someone you know and then ask for money because they are stuck overseas somewhere.
Some things you can do to stay safe:
1. Never give anyone your password unless you know for sure that it is valid.
2. Like I said above, if you get a phone call, text, or email from someone saying to call a different number other than the official number, ignore that and call the main number.
3. Keep your computer up to date. Windows updates should automatically download the second or fourth Tuesday of every month. Allow them to download and install.
4. Along with your computer, keep your phone/tablet/electronics up to date as well. I see a lot of iPhones that have a little number 1 on the settings icon because the user doesn't want to take the time to install the update. Apple, Google, Samsung, etc., ... all release these updates for good reasons. Make sure to run the update and also keep your apps up to date on your mobile devices.
5. Keep track of your bank and or credit card transactions. Setup notifications for anytime your card is used. This will help alert you if your numbers are ever stolen.
6. Do not use a password that is found in the dictionary. A good password is around 20 characters long. If you have trouble remembering passwords but want a secure password, take three words and string them together. Also, use different passwords for every site. When someone steals your password, the first thing that is tried is bouncing your username and password off of all the big banking and ordering sites.
Susquehanna Conf of the UMC
SAFE SANCTUARIES TRAINING IN BURNHAM, PA
The Burnham-Milroy Charge is hosting a Safe Sanctuaries Training October 8, 2016, from 9 a.m. to noon at Freedom Avenue UMC, 513 E. Freedom Ave., Burhnam, PA 17009.
Cost is $3 for the booklet.
717-667-2838 to register by October 1.
UN SEMINAR POSTPONED
The UN Seminar scheduled for October 11-13, 2016, has been postponed until early March. Further details will be announced soon.
Joe Hopkins and Kris Sledge, co-leaders
IMPORTANT INSURANCE REMINDER
In response to a recent situation in the State College District, I want to remind everyone that with respect to insurance appraisals on the buildings within the Susquehanna Conference, the only currently authorized appraisal company is AssetWorks, and that in calendar 2016, only conference-owned properties and those located in the Lewisburg District are being appraised. Beyond 2016 the appraisal schedule is, 2017- Altoona and Williamsport Districts; 2018-State College and Harrisburg; and 2019-York and Scranton/Wilke-Barre.
With respect to any additional insurance related inspections where you would be directly contacted or someone would just show up at your door (this generally should not happen), here are the approved vendors:
1. Risk/Hazard Control Inspections - Philadelphia Insurance Company (normally Eric Lewandowski or Andy Shockey)(no cost to church)
2. Normal Periodic Elevator Inspections - PM Associates (representative may vary) (No Cost to Church)
3. L&I Required Elevator Hydraulic Pressure Test - Vendor of your choosing but PM Associates should be contacted to witness test (This test is every three years and is at the expense of the church.)
4. Boiler Inspections - Travelers Boilerre (normally Bill Bucha) (no cost to church)
If you are contacted for any of the above types of inspections and you are unsure if the contact is legitimate, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Edward J. Eshleman, CPCU
Assistant Vice President
Commercial Lines Manager
350 Eagleview Blvd. Suite 110
Exton, PA 19341
P: 800-627-3732 x223
FACTORS INFLUENCING CLERGY LEADERSHIP STUDY
All who participated in Renee Ford's survey on clergy leadership are invited to explore the findings and download a copy of the study here: http://reneejford.wixsite.com/website.
Rev. Renee Ford
SEMINAR IN PASTORAL COUNSELING
The York District is hosting a seminar on Pastoral Counseling September 23-24, 2016, at Christ UMC, Waynesboro.
Dr. David Leaman will be the seminar presenter. Dr. Leaman is a licensed psychologist with 40 years of experience in family and individual therapy. He is a published author; his most recent book is "My Child Is Angry And So Am I -- Guiding Youth in Expressing Anger Constructively." He is a committed Christian disciple who loves the Lord, the church, and her pastors. Dr. Leaman will share basic approaches for pastoral care, care in crisis situations, pastors' self care, and when to refer.
The seminar offers 1.0 CEU and costs $50, including meals.
CLICK HERE to view flyer.
TEACHER'S AIDE POSITION OPEN AT ALDERSGATE YORK PRESCHOOL
Aldersgate York Preschool has an immediate opening for a teacher's aide. This position works approximately 21 hours per week on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 8:30 a.m. - 3 p.m. The teacher's aide supports two other teachers and the preschool director, along with assisting parents in the classroom in this interactive parent-child preschool model. This is a growing ministry of Aldersgate Church with growth potential for the right candidate.
Applications are available under the "download" tab of the Web site at www.aldersgateyork.com.
Leigh S. Smith
Aldersgate United Methodist Church, York
VOLUNTEER TREASURER NEEDED IMMEDIATELY AT CAMP CURTIN MEMORIAL MITCHELL UMC, HARRISBURG
Click graphic to view United Methodist News.